Please read this job description thoroughly before submitting your application.
Be sure that you can demonstrate commitment to teamwork, dedication and the ability to show compassion, care and respect to our patients, visitors and colleagues.
Job title: CEFM Health & Safety Manager
Hours of work:37.5
Location:Capital Estates and Facilities Management
To whom responsible:Head of Estates Safety, Compliance & Resilience
The successful candidate will support the Head of Estates
Safety, Compliance & Resilience to ensure the Capital
Estates and Facilities Management Division conducts its activities in a safe manner, so far as is reasonably
practicable, to meet its obligations under health and safety legislation and other regulatory requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The CEFM Health & Safety Manager will:
1. Act as a “competent advisor” regarding health and safety and provide managers and staff across CEFM with health and safety advice on a range of work procedures, practices and complex situations.
2. Develop and undertake a risk assessment programme. Provide expert advice and support managers and staff in undertaking risk assessments in relation to health and safety issues.
3. Develop CEFM-related health and safety policies, procedures and guidance so that they reflect legislative requirements and best practice to enable CEFM to operate safely and remain compliant against Trust wide policies, procedures and guidance. Ensure new or amended policies, procedures and guidance are communicated and implemented.
4. Develop and undertake a rolling programme of CEFM wide health and safety audits/inspections initiated from; Incidents, Investigations, CAS/Patient Safety Alerts and Risk entries.
5. Analyse findings, identify gaps in health and safety compliance and make recommendations to improve the health and safety of staff, patients and contractors.
Monitor audit action plans until achieved. Escalate any issues as appropriate.
6. Present complex, sensitive or contentious health and safety information as and when required.
7. Deliver face-to-face training on a range of specialist health and safety topics, the
Trust’s incident management system (Datix knows as QSiS) and Risk Management
Training. Produce e-learning modules to support the development of staff health and safety knowledge and awareness. Develop and make available a range of learning materials to support training sessions.
8. Work closely with CEFM Risk Leads to monitor the CEFM divisional risk register to ensure all risks are logged and appropriate actions are assigned in order to reduce risks to as low as reasonably practicable.
9. Support the Head of Estates Safety, Compliance & Resilience in the planning and implementation of projects aimed at improving the health and safety of staff, patients and contractors. Deliver programmes at a local level within Divisions, as required.
10. Analyse and interpret health and safety data, identify common themes and trends and make recommendations for improvement. Ensure data is available for local subgroups and corporate meetings such as CEFM Board, CEFM Health & Safety Group and Trust
Health & Safety Committee
11. Maintain data on CEFM health and safety key performance indicators. Ensure that the information is provided in a clear format.
12. Prepare and present regular reports for CEFM Groups and Governance Meetings.
13. Attend and contribute to meetings of relevant groups within CEFM to provide health and safety expertise.
14. Closely and regularly monitor incident reporting and risk registers via QSiS and liaise with managers as required to ensure corrective and preventative actions are taken to meet health and safety needs and practices of the CEFM division
15. Manage and investigate health and safety incidents including CEFM RIDDOR incidents.
Identify failures, participate in Root Cause Analysis and lessons learnt and make recommendations for improvement to reduce the likelihood of recurrence.
16. Liaise with the corporate H&S Team to ensure that CEFM RIDDOR incidents are reported in accordance with HSE timescales (the H&S team will undertake reporting of all incidents to the HSE)
17. Maintain strong relationships and links with Trust’s corporate Health and Safety Team,
Divisional Quality Managers (DQMs), CEFM Senior Managers, QSiS Team, Corporate
18. Carry out workplace inspections when required and provide advice on health and safety matters where, perhaps, there is no obvious solution. Provide written reports of findings.
19. Ensure all Central Alerting System (CAS) notifications associated to CEFM are managed in line with the requirements of the Trusts CAS Team via QSIS
20. Manage, investigate and ensure provision of all relevant information is made available to the Trust’s Legal Team in the result of a claim
21. Use specialist equipment, including sound level meter, to assess exposure to workplace hazards and determine the risk of harm to staff, patients and contractors and make appropriate recommendations.
22. Keep up to date with forthcoming changes in health and safety legislation and advise managers and staff of any changes.
23. Line Management of Health & Safety Trainee/Apprentices
24. Support and, where necessary, deputise for the Head of Estates Safety, Compliance &
25. Implement changes to systems, policies, practices and premises where required and ensure that any changes are communicated effectively.
Qualifications NEBOSH National Certificate or equivalent A Root Cause Analysis competency
A Educated to master’s degree level or A Project Management qualification A equivalent substantial experience in H&S
A Teacher training qualification A
Relevant post graduate qualification or equivalent or professional experience
Evidence of continuous professional development
Substantial relevant experience of working in a A & I Have experience of safety management systems A & I
2 Experience health and safety role at a large or complex organisation. Experience of working with Datix
A & I
Delivery of health and safety training A & I NHS experience
Have undertaken incident investigations, risk A & I Web page content and / or design assessments and workplace inspections A
Writing reports and providing advice on Health A, I & T
& Safety issues to staff and managers
Policy/guidance writing A & I
Knowledge of health and safety legislation and I An understanding of accident causation theories I
3 Knowledge risk management methodology
Knowledge of external reporting requirements I
4 Skills Good organisational, communication and A & I Project management skills A & I interpersonal skills.
Numerate and literate, with excellent computer A & I skills including competence with Microsoft
Office and database systems
Good investigative, analytical and report A & I writing skills
Training skills A & I
A high standard of written english, presenting A & I information in a clear and logical format i.e. policies, guidance documents
Ability to work on own initiative I
Able to prioritise own workload and work to I deadlines
A strong commitment to the improvement of I patient care and staff experience.
5 Additional The ability to understand and behave at all I
Requirements times, towards patients, visitors and colleagues according to the Trust values of
safe, kind, excellent.
The following hazards are associated
with this job role:
Continuous use of display screen equipment
(DSE) on most days
Job Title: Care Assistant Reporting to: Branch management and a dedicated line manager Work Profile: Ø Care work offers a degree of...Apply For This Job
Safeguarding Adults Team: Experienced practitioners with considerable experience in the field of Safeguarding Adults is expected to undertake complex casework...Apply For This Job
Job Title Support worker Responsible to Service Manager Responsible for Purpose To work as a team member in ensuring that...Apply For This Job
Job Description To support individuals to make choices and live as independently as possible and to demonstrate the values of...Apply For This Job
Atom Services Recruitment is currently seeking dedicated Nursery Staff members on behalf of our client, Our client Day Nursery and...Apply For This Job
Reporting directly to the Head of Service for Youth Justice, you will be expected to provide independent monitoring of quality...Apply For This Job